Thursday, May 30, 2019

Hens to the processor

Due to the number of half grown chicks we need space for, and the number of setting hens, I took 9 older layers to the processor today (this was the appt I made when I thought I would be taking the 3 roosters, too - because I don't really want to drive all the way out there for fewer than a dozen - I'd rather just process them myself and save the gas and money).  This will seriously reduce the number of eggs we are getting per day to something more reasonable for us to eat or pickle.  I took the ones with single combs, since they are far more likely to get frostbitten in winter than the breeds with rose combs.  I did make exceptions for Chiquita (our only remaining hen from the original batch 6 years ago) and Speckles (because she is the friendliest and everyones' favorite).  Now I just have to start training the half-grown chicks to use the larger coop, instead of the small on (which I need empty for the next batch).  I need to remember to set up an appt for the beginning of October for all the extra roosters from the two batches of incubator chicks, and any that the hens hatch and raise themselves.  That's a month longer than necessary for the first batch, but it will be the right amount of time for the second batch, and I only want to make one more trip this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment