Sunday, March 18, 2012

Weekend worth of work and the lack of common sense in children

The hoop house door is done.  As soon as I can find the stupid camera, I'll take pics.  Like everything else around here, the camera is AWOL.  Anyway, it was so hot on Saturday, the hoop house was practically a sauna.  Once I get stuff planted, I'll have to open the doors during the day to keep it from FRYING.  I mean, really, what is up with this weather?  I'm not even supposed to plant the cold weather veggies outdoors til April!  Okay, so the hoop house lets me do that earlier, but this is just ridiculous.  The temptation to plant is just overwhelming, even though it always snows here in the middle of April.  I'm going to do it anyway, because it will all be in the hoop house, and I can slap row covers on things, too, if the weather gets bitter and nasty.  But really, I think peas and such will do just fine.  Heck, I 'm more worried the ground will be too warm than too cold.  We also got lots of random stuff pruned and cleared and more branches cut and in buckets for kindling for the wood stove, which we are all very unhappy that it is too warm to use right now.  The entire family actually agrees on this - pancakes are far better on the wood stove. 

Today, I gto the apt cleaned out - one last trailer load by El Jefe, (thank you, sir!) and then I cleaned floors and walls and the half bath, did three more loads of laundry and called it a day.  Tuesday the carpet cleaners will be out, and then I can turn in my keys and never see that place no mo'.   Oo-rah!  But now I have to clear a path from the front door to the half bath/laundry, for the delivery of the new washer/dryer tomorrow.  That's not all we're getting tomorrow, either, but if I tell you now then I'll have nothing to blog about tomorrow (ha!).

Also this weekend, Friday really, the Princess managed to step on a rusty nail in a board that she and the Pirate had been specifically forbidden to play with (because Mom knows about the dangers of rusty nails).  Apparently, my children think my rules are just me talking to hear myself talk, because I love the sound of my own voice (What?) or something.  Needless to say, their wrongheaded misapprehension of reality caused the Princess to spend 4 hours in the Urgent Care waiting for a tetanus booster until 10PM,  and now she is on a week of some dumb antibiotic, Cephalaxin?  (Really?  I'd like to know why!  I didn't get any antibiotic the last time I whacked off the end of my finger with the rotary cutter.)  But El Jefe took the Princess to the doc, because I was just not up to the expected meltdown over the shot - I was having a hard time dealing with all the whingeing about it at the supper table when she finally admitted that was what she had impaled her foot on.  Usually, I feel bad about having so little patience with youthful foolishness, but this time, I was just really ticked off, because I HAD SAID MORE THAN ONCE DON'T PLAY WITH THOSE BOARDS and had in fact, put them away in the barn to prevent such stupid disobedience (not to pull any punches here).  Mother, if you are reading this, please don't bother bringing up any of my similar follies.  We all know there were none, and I was never that lacking in common sense, and was always an obedient and respectful child. 

1 comment:

  1. El Jefe here ... The boards had been a specific subject of prohibition by daddy twice also. Prior owner had this weird habit of leaving nails in all of the boards and lumber hanging around the place. We found a concrete baseplate under one of the sheds in which owner had simply stuck two 1x2 boards in for spacing apparently that had the nails sticking out. What's up with that?

    Hate emergency rooms.Princess was a brave one this time, though, and took the shot with minimum complaint.

    ReplyDelete