Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Good, the Bad, and the Messy...

The good is I finally ordered this year's meat chickens (and some Wyandottes, which I can explain, really!).  The bad is I waited so long that I cannot get delivery until April 1, which is rather late for the Wyandottes to be ready for the County Fair (4-H project for the kiddos).  I admit I'm glad that I can keep the birds in the laundry room for the first month and then kick them out into the cold, cruel world - that would be the heated Chicken Ghetto (the mini-coop), and then free range them as soon as it is warm enough.  I wasn't looking forward to coming up with some way to keep them warm outside as one month old birds in April, when it inevitably snows one last time here... usually the weekend I'm hiving bees... which I'm going to order as soon as I'm done with this post.

The other bad is that we lost a Blue Andalusian hen today for no discernible reason.  Just dead in the coop this morning.  Still warm when the Princess went to let the chickens out, but dead.

The messy is that I've gotten the Jiffy greenhouses set up, the extra dirt for the larger containers and GARDENING SEASON HAS STARTED!  Right next to my computer...  Which may not be world's most intelligent location, but it's what I've got, so I'm going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment