Thursday, June 6, 2019

Missed a swarm catch, but got a lot of broccoli

The old hive threw another swarm on Tuesday.  They were wrapped around a tree trunk, with branches intervening, so there was no easy way for me to get to them.  I set up a nuke with lure in it at the base of the tree, but no joy.  They were all gone the next day.

This was made up for by a beef stir fry full of broccoli and asparagus from the garden last night.  There is a bit more asparagus to harvest, and a bit more rhubarb, today.  And a lot more broccoli.  This is Sessantina Grossa Broccoli, which is actually a raab type. The heads are small - 1-2 inches - loose, and the reason I'm getting so much is that they are doing their best to flower since the weather heated up this past weekend.  The entire plant is edible - heads, leaves, stems - the directions say to harvest before they bloom, but I've eaten both closed heads and blooming heads, and they taste the same... broccoli with a hint of mustard (sensible since they are in the mustard family).  Of course, if I wanted a mustard with a hint of broccoli taste, I would just eat the "heads" of the brown mustard plants growing adjacent... it's a bit strong for me, though.  I have NEVER had any luck with broccoli in my garden - something else has always eaten it before there was any head to speak of.  I may try some other raabs next year, just to see how much difference there is between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment