Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dinner on, and from, the "Farm"

Dinner this evening is particularly tasty...
and I'm admittedly overly pleased with myself because the vast majority of it did not come from the grocery store.  We are having Chicken&Corn Chowder.  The yellow onion, garlic, chicken stock, russet taters, chicken breasts, and corn all came from our garden and our coop.  I did grow thyme this year, and it did well, but I admit I used the dried thyme I bought from the grocery store just to use it up.  We grew leeks last year, but not this year, so I had to buy two of those.  Other than that, the salt and the black pepper came from the store.   Then for dessert, I've got apple crumble, made from the apples off the trees that were here when we moved in (that are making up for last year's lack of production by outpacing my ability to process them this year).  The only thing in the Crumble that grew here is the apples.  The sugar, vanilla, oats, orange juice, and butter all came from elsewhere.  So... I'll be working on that.  I think I can come up with a dessert that uses my honey instead of sugar.  Oranges won't grow here.  Nor vanilla.  But I could grow oats and keep a goat...

No comments:

Post a Comment