Monday, March 16, 2015

Hoophouse work

Today saw five bags of dirt added to  the raised beds in the hoophouse.  I also realized just how much MORE dirt I need to add.  I think it will wait until I've planted the topped off sections, and by then I hope the ground will have dried enough to use the tractor to transport aged horse manure from next door instead.  Dirt is heavy when you have to walk it in bag by bag.  Anyway, I also planted one section with arugula, radishes (rainbow mix, zlata, and white icicle), kale (a test to see how it does in  the hoophouse, 3 types - dwarf blue, a hybrid whose name escapes me, and a wild mix), lettuce (avicenna), and two rows of purple dragon carrots.  I'll plant another section of the same things in two weeks.  I also screwed up and dug up a section of garlic I planted last fall, because I couldn't find the book where I wrote down what I planted where, and of course I forgot about doing this until I dug it up.  Sigh.  I replanted it,  along with some topset onions. 

I didn't get as much done as I wanted because I had to build a fire in Pet Graveyard, in order to thaw the ground enough to dig a hole for Turq, so my youngest daughter would not be scarred for life over the lack of ceremony for the burial of her favorite rooster.  Yes, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment